Privacy and Confidentiality
Great-West Lifeco is committed to respecting the privacy and confidentiality of information it receives, in accordance with Great-West Lifeco’s Privacy Guidelines (Appendix A of Great-West Lifeco’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics), and applicable law. Great-West Lifeco has established and will continue to maintain reasonable safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information. However, you acknowledge and confirm that the Internet is not a secure medium where privacy and confidentiality can be guaranteed and that complete security and confidentiality of transmissions to and from this site over the Internet is not possible at this time. Your confidential use of this site cannot be guaranteed and you acknowledge that your use of this site (including information you transmit to the site) may be subject to access or manipulation by, or disclosure to, third parties. Without limiting any other disclaimer herein, Great-West Lifeco and its affiliates shall not be responsible or liable for any damages that you or any other person may suffer in connection with any such breach of privacy, confidentiality or security.
Your Personal Information
Certain Great-West Lifeco websites may require you to provide personal information to Great-West Lifeco, such as sites that require you to register in order to access the site. Such personal information (for example, your name, birthday, postal code, and email address if applicable) is used to help provide you with a secure, private and convenient experience on the site.
For sites requiring you to register:
- Identity Verification: This information is used to confirm your identity when registering for access to certain Great-West Lifeco websites. This information is matched against our existing records to enable you to register.
- Communication with Great-West Lifeco: If you send Great-West Lifeco an email through our "Contact Us" feature, the email address you provide at registration will be used to contact you with our reply. If your email address changes, you can always change the email address we have on record on either the "Contact Us" page, or in the "Your Profile" section of the site.
- Forgotten User Name or Password: If you forget either your user name or password, it is simple to recover them online by going through our Forgotten User Name or Password services, available from the Sign In page. To confirm your identity before displaying either of these items, we match what you enter against the information collected during the registration process.
Remember that the security of email communication cannot be guaranteed. Do not send private or confidential information to Great-West Lifeco via email (e.g. your Social Insurance Number, birthday). Also, Great-West Lifeco will never send you an email message requesting personal information. Any such request is a fraudulent attempt to gain your valuable personal information (a technique known as "phishing").
What your personal information will not be used for:
- Marketing from Great-West Lifeco: You will not receive any marketing or advertisements from Great-West Lifeco at the email address you provide to Great-West Lifeco.
- Marketing from third parties: We will never sell your information to any third parties, or share it with any other organization for marketing purposes.
The security of email communication cannot be guaranteed. Any person wishing to communicate or send information of a private or confidential nature to Great-West Lifeco or a third party is encouraged to do so by other means.
Be cautious of email and websites purporting to represent a legitimate company and that ask you to provide confidential or financial information. It is not Great-West Lifeco’s practice to email you to ask you to provide or confirm your PIN, password, or other confidential or financial information, other than as may occur in response to an inquiry from you. If you receive such a request, or have any concern as to the validity of an email from Great-West Lifeco, a website purporting to be a Great-West Lifeco website, or our online security, please notify us immediately. Please attach any suspicious email in its original form, or in the case of a website please include the URL (address of the website) in your notification.
For information on various types of email fraud, please visit the E-mail Fraud / Phishing page on the RCMP website.
"Cookies" are small items of data that websites store in your browser. These data files contain information the site can use to track and organize the pages you have visited, and to gather information. Some of our web-based applications use "cookie" technology to measure site activity and tailor information to fit your personal interests. This helps us deliver a superior website experience that is designed to be fast, secure and personalized. Great-West Lifeco uses only "session" cookies; that is to say, cookies placed by Great-West Lifeco are deleted when you close your browser, further protecting your privacy and security.
Great-West Lifeco collects some limited information about your connection to the Internet. This information includes your computer's IP address, which is your numerical address on the Internet that lets our servers know where to send the web pages you view. This information is collected to help measure traffic to our site and the performance of our servers, and to help diagnose and address problems when they arise.